Thursday, March 04, 2010

Book Review - Old Man's War by John Scalzi


Old Man's War
John Scalzi
Tor Science Fiction
2007
Mass Market Paperback
320 pages

“Old Man’s War” is often compared to Robert A. Heinlein’s “Starship Troopers” but I enjoyed this much more (and I’m a huge Heinlein fan). And while it does resemble Troopers a bit I think that Joe Haldeman’s “Mind Bridge” and “The Forever War,” Frederik Pohl’s “Gateway,” and Jack Chalker’s Well World books are closer comparisons. What I mean by that is that John Scalzi has an “old Science Fiction soul” and this is the highest compliment I could pay any writer. An instant classic and a fun read!

My recommended series reading order:

Old Man's War Series
1. Old Man's War (2005)
2. The Ghost Brigades (2006)
3. The Sagan Diary (2007)
4. The Last Colony (2007)
5. Zoe’s Tale (2008)

4 ½ out of 5 stars


The Alternative
Southeast Wisconsin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello colleagues, its wonderful article concerning tutoringand entirely defined, keep it up all
the time.

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... sexygirlchat.net